About Me

My photo
Hey y'all! Well first off I'm Melody Rose and I'm a local here in GS alabama. I created this blog to tell people about our little paradise, Gulf Shores! I'm unbiased, so I promise you everything on here is real and the truth. I will not lie, or make something sound better than it is or worse than it is. I've realized how many people just are in love with Gulf Shores, so I though I'd start this blog to update y'all, let you know about great food (or horrible food), fun things to do for everyone, and soo much more. :)

Jun 27, 2011

Wildfire at Gulf State Park

   So, I clean condos with my mama, we clean all around Gulf Shores and Orange Beach.  We were driving along West Beach Blvd, and we were looking at the Gulf, then looked to the front of us in the blue sky to see smoke.     
   Well of course we had to go drive and see what it was. While I'm driving my mom is looking up the news on her phone to see what this smoke is all about. I didn't get too far with the busy traffic before she told me it's a wildfire in the Gulf State Park. Immediately I was like oh-em-gee, we're all going to die, I started panicking because my house is just up Hwy 59 and for all I knew at that point it could have been going straight for my house with my adored cat in there. 
   Long story short, we gathered information to find that it had started in the campgrounds and it started off as 2 acres, and now is 400 acres. The first day of the fire (May 25) they evacuated sections of Orange Beach and power went out, they now are allowing people back and got the power back on the same day. Yesterday (May 26th) they almost had to evacuate some homes in the area, but they are doing their best to protect those houses.  Now, all while it keeps burning through more and more acres, they keep saying (and it's about the only thing they're saying) that they have it under control, they have it contained. Really guys? Really? Because if you did, it wouldn't keep on going full force now would it?
    At this point you're probably wondering what caused the fire in the first place?  Well, to be real, nobody has a for sure answer.  Lots of people have different ideas and assumptions, but police are investigating this.  Some say campers were cooking on a grill and dumped their coals in the grass.  Others say someone threw a cigarette butt. A few people are even saying someone was trying to set off fireworks.  Who really knows what's true, but all of these ideas are things that can start a wildfire, so people, please be careful.
   This fire has been burning for 3 days now, and so far it's crossed Canal Road in Orange Beach, headed for The Wharf and Sports Plex but luckily they're protecting it along with the homes in the area. They have brought out helicopters to fight the fire by dumping water on to it, lets hope they can get this contained and under control, though today they announced this is going to be a long battle against this fire.  
   That's all the info for now everyone, thanks for reading & check out the pics below of the fire. 
XOXO - Melody Rose




No comments:

Post a Comment