About Me

My photo
Hey y'all! Well first off I'm Melody Rose and I'm a local here in GS alabama. I created this blog to tell people about our little paradise, Gulf Shores! I'm unbiased, so I promise you everything on here is real and the truth. I will not lie, or make something sound better than it is or worse than it is. I've realized how many people just are in love with Gulf Shores, so I though I'd start this blog to update y'all, let you know about great food (or horrible food), fun things to do for everyone, and soo much more. :)

Jun 30, 2011

Wildfire Update 6/30

The rain the day before yesterday wasn't enough to help the fire that went from 700 acres to 1,000 acres in one day yesterday. The smoke was horrible last night, the smoke was smelling up my whole house because of the direction the wind was blowing plus the rain made the fire smokier.
   Gov. Bentley came to town yesterday and arrived around 3pm to fly over the fire and assess how closely the fire is burning to homes and businesses such as The Wharf and the somewhat new restaurant EAT.
   At this time helicopters are what's helping firefighters battle this fire. Yesterday the firefighters brought in a ch47b chinook (a helicopter used for dumping massive amounts of water.) These are helping them contain the fire, at this time they claim to have the fire 95% contained, yet it keeps doubling in size every day, literally.
   This fire is effecting some businesses along Canal Rd. Businesses such as EAT almost had to evacuate in the beginning, but now they are just keeping an eye on the fire, firefighters are protecting these businesses. Though the restaurant EAT was closed down from the beginning of the fire, and just opened back up today, the smoke was too much for them to stay open.
    Aside from the smoke effecting our town economically, it's suffering environmentally. Wildfires are very capable of putting plants of the verge of extinct. They can and usually destroy animal's habitats, and animal habitats are VITALLY important to the world. Though a lot of you don't care about animals, the environment, ect, I do. A lot. We're gonna be the reason the world comes to an end, it'll be man made and a lot of people don't realize that we can stop it. But I don't mean to get off topic, wildfires also release carbon dioxide which is horrible for the atmosphere.
    That's all the info for now, there will be another update tomorrow, thanks for reading!! : )

XOXO - Melody Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment